​​Couples having a Civil Union Certified in Kane County must obtain a Civil Union License from the Kane County Clerk’s office.

Timelines and restrictions

Civil Union licenses are:

  • effective only in Kane County – The license must be purchased in the county the civil union will take place.
  • issued while you wait
  • effective the following calendar day after they are issued
  • valid for 60 days


Under Illinois law, only eligible persons may obtain a Civil Union License. Both parties must:

  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • Not be an ancestor and a descendent or between siblings whether the relationship is by the half or the whole blood or by adoption; an aunt or uncle and a niece or nephew, whether the relationship is by the half or the whole blood, or by adoption; or between first cousins
  • Not enter into civil union prior to dissolution of a marriage or civil union or substantially similar legal relationship
  • Individuals who reside out of the state may not apply for a Civil Union license in Illinois if such Civil Union would not be legal in their home state.


  • A marriage between persons of the same sex, a civil union, or a substantially similar legal relationship other than common law marriage, legally entered into in another jurisdiction, shall be recognized in Illinois as a civil union.


Keep in mind, civil union license applications takes 30 minutes or more to process. Please plan accordingly.

Couples must appear together at:
Kane County Clerk
719 S. Batavia Ave., Bldg. B
Geneva, IL 60134

Or at the Clerk's office in Aurora:

5 E. Downer Place, Unit F (facing the GAR Museum)

Aurora, IL 60505

Both offices are open Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 8:30am-4:30pm (for marriage/civil union applications you need to be in the office by 4:00)
Wed: 8:30am-8:00pm (for marriage/civil union applications you need to be in the office by 7:30 on Wednesday nights)


They must:

​​Civil Union

  • Civil unions may be certified by either a person of the clergy or a judge.
  • Witnesses are not required by Illinois law.
  • Couples wishing to have a judge perform their civil union outside the court system, must make special arrangements in advance. Please contact the County Clerk’s office at 630-232-5950 for a list of retired judges.

Court House Ceremony Instructions:

A marriage/civil union license must be issued to the couple and is required to make a ceremony appointment at the courthouse.  If an appointment is made without a license, the appointment will be cancelled, and the couple will have to reschedule.

  1. Couples will have to come to the county clerk's office, show valid IDs, sign the applications and pay the fee.  At that time, the paperwork needed to schedule your ceremony at the courthouse will be issued to you.
  2. Once you have the civil union packet from our office:  Click the link below to schedule your appointment at the courthouse.  Make sure you have your civil union license number ready to put into the system.  It is required in order to make the court house appointment.  You cannot make an appointment without being issued a license.​
  3. Go to the Courthouse website for appointments  
  4. Ceremonies are available at the Judicial Center located at 37W777 Rte. 38,  St. Charles, IL 60175 Monday through Thursday.  Ceremonies are held at the Courthouse at 100 S. Third St. in Geneva IL 60134 on Fridays.
  • Ceremony times available are:  Monday – Thursday starting at 3:30 p.m. and on Friday 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. depending on location.

After the Civil Union ceremony occurs

The individual(s) performing the ceremony must complete the bottom portion of the license and mail or deliver it to the County Clerk within 10 days of the date the civil union is certified.

Mail to:
Kane County Clerk
719 S. Batavia Ave., Bldg. B
Geneva, IL 60134
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 8:30am-4:30pm
Wed: 8:30am-8:00pm

PLEASE NOTE: If, for any reason, you do not have your civil union certified within the 60 day time period, your license is void and it will be your responsibility to return the license to the Clerk's office to be filed.

Under no circumstances should a license be destroyed after it is issued.

You may obtain a certified copy of your civil union license in approximately 2 to 3 weeks after the license is filed with the County Clerk. The fee is $16.00 for the first copy, and $6.00 for each additional copy of the same certificate when purchased at the same time. You may obtain a copy of your Civil Union certificate upon request.